Pages

Preparing to move to M43s continued....Testing the Panasonic 100-300

One of the draws for me of making the jump to M43s is the 2x crop factor,making the Panasonic     100-300 a 35mm equivalent of 200-600mm but at half the size and weight. Now for me starting to gain an interest in nature and wildlife this is a massive bonus, it will allow me to take the lens out with me, without going out specificly for the purpose of taking wildlife shots as would be the case with something like the Sigma 150-500 ("the bigma"). 

Taking the lens on to the street paired with the GH4 it felt well balanced and had a responsive and snappy autofocus speed. The main competitor to this lens being the Olympus 75-300, which will offer you a wider angle it has the down side of the apeture range being f/4.8-6.7 where as the Panasonic offers you f/4-5.6.

Taking the Panasonic out on the street I had no issues with shake even at the top end of the lens with O.I.S performing very well. Below is an example of the range of the lens, due to working from a iPad paired with a camera connection kit exact focal lengths aren't stated.








Admittedly not the most interesting of photo, but unfortunately I was not able to take the lens anywhere more exciting on this occasion, all going well in the not too distant future over on my Flickr much more exciting images from the same combination will be available.

Whilst having a quick look at the lens, it quickly became apparent another stand out selling point of this lens for me at least was the bokeh produced. The image below is straight out of the camera and on to the blog:


What catches my eye is the almost water colour painting effect on the blur, it's a common comment it's not what is in focus it's what isn't and judging by this photo this lens is on to a winner. 

I have not however tested out the Olympus nor is this by any means a technical test of the lenses ability, simply a visual test. All images were shot on the Panasonic GH4.




No comments:

Post a Comment