Pages

Preparing to move from DSLR to Mirrorless (Micro Four Thirds)

Over the past few months, you may have noticed I am moving more and more towards M43(Micro Four Thirds) and particularly for me the GH4. The time is about here for me to upgrade my camera and in reality sticking with a DSLR makes the upgrade pretty much unaffordable for me at the moment. However with the rise in recent products from Olympus and Panasonic with products such as the GH4 and GX7 from Panasonic and many many more and the E-M1 and E-M5ii from Olympus image quality is now heavily battling it out even against cameras twice the price and size for example Snapsort, rates the Canon 5Diii at roughly 7% better image quality than the GH4, when you consider at body only prices you can almost buy to GH4's for the price of one Canon 5Diii. This is before you  consider all the other benefits of the GH4: 

* 20% Smaller
* 40% Lighter 
* Better dynamic range (12.8 stops)
* Touch to focus
* 4k Video
* 12 Frames Per Second
* Flip out screen
* Built in flash
* 2x Crop factor 

Now you maybe thinking I am a photographer, 4K video is of no interest to me, however you couldn't be more wrong, thanks to Panasonic's innovation in technology you are now able to take a still frame from a 4K video and produce an 8MP still, and on a sensor the quality of the GH4 8MP is more than enough to produce a lovely canvas for your wall, a glossy magazine cover or maybe even just an interesting Instagram photo. 

Full article on PetaPixel click the photo to read more.

So why am I changing? For me since graduating from my Photography Degree I have seemed to fall in to a slump, not being bothered to look for work and not doing anywhere as much as I should be with my photography. Since I have got my LX100 I have been shooting a lot more and not just on my iPhone which I had tragically fallen in to the habit of doing, however that trend will soon be gone as I am now waiting on the delivery of my CM1 which I briefly tested here. 

I am hoping a change in gear to something in pretty much every way an improvement over my current kit will kick me back in to gear of shooting anything and everything. With plenty of new ideas that I want to shoot ideas with LED lights to replace flash guns, 4k Stills from action shots and adding the Panasonic 100-300mm lens doubling my current 70-200mm on the most powerful focal length allowing me to take advantage of rural living and the vast amount of wildlife in the area. 

Not only that but the sheer flexibility of all mirrorless systems and the ability to adapt almost anything with the right adapters to fit on the front, allowing you pretty much the largest selection of lenses on the market (this being the case for all mirrorless cameras, however some being more suited to it than others). Having already started my collection of older lenses with the Helios 44, 58mm f2
which I have adapted to my now discarded Sony NEX 5. 

PhotoZone12

PhotoZone11

As you can see the bokeh achieved from something so affordable will help you stand out, over the coming months I am going to be researching and compiling a list of a selection of lenses to add you your Micro Four Thirds cameras to help you stand out from the crowd. 

So for me the time is almost here if I can get the right prices for my Canon gear to start making the move over to Panasonic, just a quick eBay search for accessories has me excited and sets projects going off in my mind, once I have made the move the next step will be to create a PC(possibly hackingtosh) capable of 4k video editing and or downsampling and start on finally getting more work out there from stills to video and combining both. 

I am sure more posts will follow, with the progress and where I go and more on lenses and lens choice for the M43s system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment